Dr van Mourik is committed to providing the highest quality service to his patients and website visitors including respecting privacy concerns and in particular complying with the requirements of the Privacy Act 1988 including the Australian Privacy Principles and the Health Records and Information Privacy Act 2002 including the Health Privacy Principles.
He understands that you may have questions about how he collects and uses personal information. In this regard, Dr van Mourik’s Privacy Statement explains how he complies with his obligations under the Privacy Act and the Human Records and Information Privacy Act. The Privacy Statement covers:
Why we collect your information
- To provide healthcare;
- To contact you for appointments and results;
- To bill for our services.
We collect your information from
- your referring doctor’s letter;
- your test results.
How we protect your information
- all staff are bound by confidentiality agreements;
- your medical records are stored digitally with three levels of password protection;
- medical records are backed up to prevent loss of information;
- medical records are kept after your treatment has finished;
- all hard copy documents are securely shredded;
- we don’t release your information without your consent;
- we need your permission to ask for your information from other health care providers.
Who has access to your information?
- your surgeon and practice staff;
- you, if you request it.
We release your information
- to your referring doctor and other doctors involved in your care by writing a letter after your consultation and sending copies of test results;
- to the hospital you choose, if you need an operation;
- if you need to be referred to another doctor or health care provider like a specialist, speech therapist, physiotherapist;
- to pathology, radiology or audiology if you need to have a test;
- if you request us to provide information to another doctor or prepare a medical report;
- to allow us to bill for our services e.g. Medicare, DVA, private health funds.
- request access to your personal information;
- ask us to correct any personal information we collect.